Sunday, July 6, 2008

What's For Dinner?

How many times a week do you hear that one? I have to say "Seven." We rarely eat out and my family counts on me to make dinner every night, which I actually enjoy, look forward to, and consider one of the high points of my day.

I try to make a weekly menu and stick to it; however, many things may crop up that will affect the weekly menu. These things usually include at least one of the following:

- the kids being invited to eat at someone else's house
- the kids having many friends over who want to eat at our house
- I see a new recipe and decide I need to make it immediately
- husband tells me he had a big lunch and doesn't want dinner
- we have leftovers of multiple meals and I feel it would be wasteful to make something new

I also have a family who is, let's say, selective. With the exception of my Darling Daughter, the other members of the family have a VERY LONG list of foods they will not eat. But let's not go there now.

So, when I plan a weekly menu, I try to include tried-and-true dishes that I know the pickier eaters will enjoy as well as some new dishes to try, knowing at least my daughter and I will appreciate them.

Here's this week's menu:

Tonight: Grilled Salmon (I will also grill hot dogs for the picky eaters); Herbed Fresh Peas and Corn; Wild Rice

Monday: Hamburgers/Veggie Burgers; Fries; Green Salad; Fresh Fruit

Tuesday: Barbecue Chicken and Black Bean Burritos; Rice; Chopped Salad (cheese quesadillas for the picky eaters)

Wednesday: Daughter out; Son??? Will play it by ear.

Thursday: Mediterranean Chicken with Couscous; Arugula Salad

Friday: Teriyaki Shrimp and Scallops; Asian Bean Salad (picky eaters will NOT like this menu and will probably call for pizza. This rebellion will be led by my husband. I will have LOTS of leftovers for the weekend.)

No comments: