Saturday, July 26, 2008

Houver-douver conundrum


So, I'm going to a cocktail party tonight. Yippee! Time to make an awesome houver-douver (hors d'oeuvre for those of you who insist on pronouncing it correctly).

My first thought, sometime during the week, was "find a simple,
popular recipe that is sure to please the masses AND not take me all day to prepare."

So I found one, highly recommended (by the person who posted it), on the Cooking Light bulletin board. It was "Skewered Tortellini with Creamy Parmesan Dip" or something like that. I shelled out for handmade tortellini, lemons and creme fraiche at Whole Foods, and I was on my way.

Well, as usual, I had doubts. For one thing, this isn't the kind of food I care for. It's carb-heavy, fatty and cheesy -- three strikes in my book. But I pressed on, and made the dip this morning, thinking, if it isn't good, I still have time for Plan B. Well, it wasn't good. It was a gritty, sour blech-fest. Time for Plan B. I'm pretty much known for Plan B.

My heart (and stomach) were saying, "fresh, light, crunchy," when I stumbled upon a great-looking Vietnamese Spring Roll with Spicy Dipping Sauce (OK, that's not the real name, but that's what I'm calling it because I can't quite remember the real name). Made a run to Stop and Shop, found all necessary ingredients, and came home to create my masterpiece.

It's just what I wanted. It looks great and tastes even better. Now to find an equally fabulous outfit, and go make a name for myself on the local cocktail party circuit. I have arrived!

No comments: