Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What's For Dinner, Part 2


What did I tell you? Sure enough, my well-laid plans for the week have been blown to smithereens. In fact, I just read a quote that I find quite appropriate: "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans." (or have him take a look at your wacky sideways kebab picture)

Things went swimmingly on Sunday and Monday. Tuesday afternoon, my Darling Daughter (DD) developed some "tummy trouble" and has been subsisting on ginger ale and soda crackers ever since. Dinner went on sort of as-scheduled Tuesday, just without DD and Teenage Son (TS), who had fled to a friend's house.

Today I remembered that we're having some old friends and their kids over for dinner on Friday, which made me rethink my seafood and Asian-vegetable themed meal.

Tonight, DD is feeling better but still not ready for food. TS is HUNGRY, so I ran out to my butcher and got some steak and turkey tips to grill. No sooner did I light the grill then a torrential downpour ensued. "Mom, the grill is smoking. A lot. You better come see," DD cried from her comfy position on the couch. "It looks like a mad scientist experiment," TS commented.

The storm passed, and I grilled in a light drizzle. One of the cats escaped as I came back in the house, but he's the slow one, so I was able to grab him before he wandered off. We thoroughly enjoyed the dinner, which was Grilled Steak Kebabs, Grilled Turkey Tips (I'm not much of a red meat eater) and Orzo with Spinach. TS had plain steak and some orange wedges. DD didn't eat. What will tomorrow bring? I'd better not plan anything just yet.

Grilled Steak Kebabs with Orange and Hoisin Glaze
adapted from Bon Appetit

1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 T. chili powder
1 1/2 T. olive oil
2 t. grated orange peel
1 1/2 lb. sirloin steaks, about 1 1/4" thick, cut into 20 cubes
salt and pepper
3 1/3"-thick orange slices
2 red bell peppers, each pepper cut into about 12 cubes

Heat grill to medium-high heat. Whisk juice concentrate, hoisin, chili powder, oil and orange peel in a medium bowl.
Place beef in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add 1/4 cup of the sauce and toss well. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut each orange slice into 6 wedges. Alternate 5 beef cubes, 4 orange wedges and 4 pieces of red pepper on each of 4 metal skewers.
Grill kebabs to desired doneness, brushing with a bit more sauce and turning occasionally, about 10 min. for medium-rare.
Serve kebabs with remaining sauce. Serves 4.

No comments: