Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cup o' Breakfast


What do you eat for breakfast? It's every man for himself around here, and typical breakfasts are toast, bagels, frozen waffles or cereal: quick, easy and energy-providing, what with all those carbs. Another bonus is there's not much to clean up afterward; we each put our dishes in the dishwasher and off we go.

However, I like some protein at breakfast. It helps keep me full longer and makes me feel less bloated than a massive load of carbohydrates. I love eggs, but rarely want to whip out the skillet to cook them on a weekday morning, what with a full day of cooking ahead of me (not to mention all the dishes I end up doing while I cook).

Today I tried something new, and in the time it takes to toast a bagel, I had a mug full of steaming hot eggs and vegetarian sausage that was packed with protein and flavor. Inspiration came from Hungry Girl 1-2-3, Lisa Lillien's new cookbook of easy, low-calorie recipes. I don't use lots of the processed foods she promotes, but I do like her ideas and flavor combinations, so I used her egg mug idea with (gasp) real eggs and came up with a great breakfast with infinite possibilities (not to mention 20 grams of protein).

My Breakfast Mug
Serves 1

1 egg
1 egg white
1 Morningstar Farms Veggie Breakfast Sausage patty, thawed*

Spray a microwave-safe mug with nonstick cooking spray. Crack the egg and the egg white into the mug and mix it with a fork. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir the eggs again and microwave for 20 more seconds, or until eggs are cooked through.
Crumble the sausage patty into the eggs and eat.

168 calories, 8 g. fat, 4 g. carbs, 20 grams of protein (made with above ingredients)

*Other possible add-ins in place of the sausage: shredded cheese, salsa, finely chopped vegetables, smoked salmon, bacon bits, chopped ham or turkey

No comments: