Friday, April 16, 2010

5 for $25


I'd never taken advantage of my grocery store's "5 for $25" meat special before this week, and now I'm not sure why. The meat is fresh and top-quality: I picked up three strip steaks, a package of chicken breasts and a package of turkey cutlets for $25. Other options included whole chickens, pork roasts, ground turkey breast, ground beef and Mrs. Budd's Chicken Pot Pies. Seriously.

According to my grocery receipt, I saved $10.15; the biggest savings came from the package of chicken breasts, which would have cost $8.94. So if I'd bought 5 packages of chicken breasts, I would have saved close to $20. But that's boring, in my opinion. I like variety.

I turned the strip steaks into Steak Shish Kebobs, following Amy's recipe, which I served with rice and corn. They were gone before you could say "mmmm."

I used my grill pan to make Grilled Turkey Cutlets in just three minutes. I sprinkled half of the cutlets with Penzey's Turkish Seasoning and half with salt and pepper, then brushed lightly with olive oil. I cooked them for 2 minutes on the first side, flipped and cooked for 1 minute longer. After placing on a serving platter, I brushed the spicier cutlets with barbecue sauce and left the others naked, for the less-adventurous eaters. I served the cutlets with a green salad and some pineapple, and it was one of the fastest dinners I've ever made.

No plans yet for the chicken breast, but I'm sure I'll think of something soon. And I'll definitely be stocking up at the next 5 for $25 sale.

No comments: