Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pantry Challenge, Day 3: Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin + Sides


I'm enjoying this challenge immensely and have been gratified and humbled by the realization that I have so much perfectly good food right here in my house. When I look around after three days, I don't see noticeably less food, even though I eat three meals a day (and lots of snacks) here. In fact, with a trip to the supermarket for more fresh produce and some milk over the weekend, I might continue the challenge for another week.

The rest of the family remains unimpressed with the experiment. In fact, certain family members have been ordering take-out at an unprecedented rate, which may explain why it's taking me so long to make a dent in the larder. But it's only Day 3. The plan for tonight was bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin (already cooked and in the freezer) jazzed up with a fruity side dish, as well as another vegetable and a potato.

I had a couple of Gala apples and half a sweet onion in the refrigerator, so I sliced them and drizzled with vegetable oil, salt and pepper, and convection roasted them for about 15 minutes. When the apples were just getting tender and the onion slices were starting to char, I took the pan out of the oven and tossed the mixture with a capful of apple cider vinegar and two spoonfuls of Caramel Apple Butter. A few leaves of thyme and the fruity side dish was done. (I don't usually have Caramel Apple Butter, but it was in a gift basket I received over the holidays, so why not put it to use?)

My vegetable was lightly boiled carrots, one of the few vegetables I had left in the drawer, tossed with butter, salt and pepper. I also prepared the remainder of a box of instant Garlic Mashed potatoes I had in the pantry. Judging from the empty plates, I think dinner was better than the latest round of takeout.

No comments: