Monday, January 18, 2010

Pantry Challenge, Day 1: Wraps and Vegs



Today marked the first day of the "Cook What You've Got Challenge," and I was ready! Well, I thought I was ready, until I realized the quantity of chicken I had in the freezer did not equal the number of mouths I had to feed. But I didn't let that stop me from being creative.

I arrived home from my client's house at about 1:30 today, whereupon I found my son still asleep. After waking him and having him shovel the front walkway, he asked for breakfast, specifically, three hash browns and two fried eggs. He ate that at about 2 pm, and I realized he wouldn't be hungry for dinner. Good, because by then I knew about my chicken deficit.

My vague idea for dinner involved the cooked chicken from the freezer as well as some spoils from today's cookdate: half a can of black beans, half a can of tomatoes with green chiles and half an avocado. I warmed the chicken in a skillet and added the black beans and some of the tomatoes as well as a squirt of barbecue sauce. I rolled the chicken and black bean mixture up in three flour tortillas, topped it with the rest of the canned tomatoes and baked it for 15 minutes. Then I uncovered the dish, topped it with some shredded cheese and baked it for 5 more minutes. Dinner was ready. And can I say, my husband remarked THREE times, "This is really good."

Side dishes were easy: carrot and celery sticks leftover from hubby's Chicken Wing run last night, a bowl of grapes from the fridge and a scoop of avocado salsa I made from the half an avocado and some vegetables in the drawer.

Day 2 won't be as exciting: Tuesday is dance (DD - 5:30 - 7:30 pm) and yoga (me - 7 - 8:30 pm) night, so everyone fends for themselves at different times of the evening. But I'll be back after Day 3 with another new meal from the pantry.

No comments: