Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mediterranean Salad


Half of my lunch is ready, so while I wait for my chicken breasts to cook, I thought I'd share this delicious, healthy salad with you.

I found the recipe in Cooking Light and made it for my Thursday client. It was so good, I knew I'd be making it again this weekend for myself. I'm a big fan of fresh fennel, especially when it's sliced paper thin like in this salad.

I tweaked the dressing a bit, and today I left off the feta cheese; I simply forgot to buy it, and I really don't miss it. But if you like feta, and can remember to buy it, please do add it to the salad.

Time for lunch.

Mediterranean Salad
Makes 8 servings

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cloves garlic -- pressed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 fennel bulb -- sliced thin, about 2 cups, use mandolin
1/2 red onion -- sliced thin, about 1 1/2 cups, use mandolin
1 cup pitted kalamata olives -- halved
3/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese -- crumbled
1 15 ounce can cannelini beans -- drained, rinsed
12 cherry tomato -- halved

Make vinaigrette by combining red wine vinegar through olive oil.

Layer the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.

Before serving (an hour before if possible), toss ingredients with dressing.

No comments: