Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lattice-Topped Cherry Tart


To make up for last evening's lackluster meal, I decided to make a cherry pie for my husband this morning. Unfortunately, I didn't have quite as many cherries as I would have liked, so my pie became a tart, simply because the tart pan looked like it didn't require quite as much filling as my deep-dish pie pan.

First I pitted the cherries, which really was no big deal. I attempted to pit them with a paperclip, a la Martha Stewart, but that really didn't work. I ended up kind of squeezing each one and popping the pit out. Worked great.

Having never made a cherry pie before, I went to my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and followed their instructions, more or less. It was quite easy, and I highly recommend you make a tart (or pie) tonight for someone you love.

Lattice-Topped Cherry Tart
Makes 1 tart

3 1/2 - 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted (If you have 5 or more cups of cherries, by all means, make a pie)
1 cup white sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 package of Pillsbury pie crusts or your favorite recipe for a double-crust pie
1 Tablespoon milk
coarse sugar for sprinkling on top

Mix the white sugar and cornstarch together in a bowl. Add the pitted cherries and stir. Let sit about 15 minutes, or until mixture gets kind of juicy.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

While the cherries are getting juicy, place one pie crust in your tart pan. Slice the remaining pie crust into 10 strips. When the cherries are ready, stir them and pour them into the prepared pan. Place half of the strips on the pie from top to bottom, with about 1 inch inbetween strips. Fold every other strip back halfway. Lay another strip in the center of the tart, across the strips already in place. Unfold the folded strips and fold back the remaining strips. Place another pastry strip across the first set of strips, parallel to the strip in the center. Repeat the weaving until lattice covers the filling. Trim the pastry strips so they're even with the pan. Press them into the bottom crust to seal.

If you'd like, brush the milk on the lattice topping and sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking.

Bake the tart or pie on a cookie sheet in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the lattice top is light brown and the filling is bubbly. Let cool and serve.

No comments: