Monday, July 6, 2009

Avocado and White Bean Dip


My name is Martha, and I'm a snacker. Anyone who knows me will verify this. My usual snacks include nuts, soy cheese, crackers, pretzels, turkey, raisins, hard-boiled eggs, soy yogurt, fruit, and the occasional handful of Teddy Grahams. I try to keep it healthy but easy. A snack shouldn't require any more than 2 minutes to prepare, in my opinion.

Today I was feeling bored with my usual snacks and wanted something new. I like my snacks to be filling and nutritious, and with that in mind, I decided to make a dip by mashing together an avocado and a can of white beans (drained and rinsed). Good, but it needed a little zip, so I sprinkled the mixture with Penzey's Southwest Seasoning and a bit of lime juice. Snack time!

P.S. In case you were wondering, this dip is high in fiber, vitamins and minerals as well as heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. It's vegetarian, dairy-free, and inexpensive. Add grated onion or minced garlic for more oomph. Spread it on a wrap and add some raw vegetables or sliced turkey for a quick lunch. Mmmmm.

1 comment:

amycaseycooks said...

Hi Martha. My name is Amy and I am a snacker too. I usually snack so much while I am making dinner that I am too full to eat.

Delicious!