Saturday, November 29, 2008

Crazy delicious


I'm planning to make some baked cod for dinner tonight, which will NOT go over big with the troops, so I decided to make the meal more appealing by whipping up some macaroni and cheese as a side dish. Plus I thought whatever's left will go well with tomorrow night's Oven Fried Chicken. After tasting this, I'm not sure if we'll have any left for tomorrow. It's that good!

Crazy Delicious Mac and Cheese
Serves 6 as a side dish (I think)

2 2/3 cups small pasta (elbows or shells)
2 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed, pulsed to crumbs in food processor
garlic powder
parmesan cheese
4 T. butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 T. dry sherry (optional)
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese


Cook the pasta until still firm to the bite. Drain and place in large bowl.

While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add 1 T. butter to bread crumbs and toss to mix. Sprinkle in a wee bit of garlic powder and parmesan and toss again. Set aside.

Add flour to remaining butter in saucepan and whisk over medium heat for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk and broth and whisk until smooth. Add sherry if desired. Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes. Then take off heat and gradually stir in grated cheddar cheese.

Pour cheese sauce over pasta in large bowl and toss to coat. Pour mixture into a greased deep dish pie pan or 9x9 dish. Top with bread crumbs. Broil for 2 minutes, or until crumbs are golden. Watch carefully! (as you can see, I did NOT watch carefully; I was called away to admire the colored lights my husband and daughter had just installed outside of our front door. Oops!)

1 comment:

amycaseycooks said...

Love the addition of sherry to the cheese sauce. I have been adding wine to many of my sauces these days.