Saturday, November 8, 2008

Grilled Steak and Potatoes with Garlic Butter


The critics are raving, and I'm lapping it up, especially since I had to stand out in the rain to get dinner made tonight. Now, don't let the fact that the steak looks like a sarcophagus turn you off; that's just my mediocre food photography.

I actually made two dinners; one was Apple and Fennel Roasted Pork Tenderloin, and I've posted a recipe and picture at my website. That was made in the interest of recipe testing, and because I'm not a steak lover. I made it this afternoon and heated it up at dinnertime. Delish!

But I decided to make the steaks because TS (teenage son) has a couple of friends here, and I knew they'd like it, and I also knew I wouldn't hear any complaints from the hubby or DD (dear daughter). I was right on all accounts.

Grilled Steak and Potatoes with Garlic Butter
Serves 4

1 1/2 lbs. small red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper
4 T. unsalted butter, softened
2 T. minced fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 strip steaks (8 to 10 oz. each), about 1 inch thick
Montreal Steak Seasoning or similar blend

Toss potatoes and oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and nuke at high power for about 4 min., or until slightly softened, tossing potatoes halfway through cooking.

Beat softened butter with a fork and add parsley, garlic and 1/4 t. salt.

Let steaks sit out for about 1/2 hour before grilling. Sprinkle steaks with grill seasoning. Preheat gas grill to high. Grill steaks over direct high heat for 8 minutes, turning once. Then adjust heat for indirect grilling, and grill steaks over indirect high for 4-6 more minutes or until 125 degrees (medium rare) or 135 degrees (medium). Meanwhile grill potatoes for 7-8 minutes, turning several times, until soft and grill-marked.

Place steaks on serving platter and top each steak with 1 T. butter. Loosely cover with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes. Toss potatoes with remaining tablespoon of parsley butter in a serving bowl. Serve.

No comments: