Friday, January 2, 2009

Healthy heart

Just got the results of my fasting cholesterol tests, and I'm proud to say that my numbers are all optimal. Unlike some of my traits, the results of the test are not genetic; I work hard to keep myself healthy, because I want to ward off the diseases that plagued my parents and grandparents.

I attribute my success to my diet, first and foremost. I don't eat a lot of red meat and I avoid dairy, commercial baked goods and deep-fried foods. I do eat lots of nuts, poultry, seafood, pork tenderloin, vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I aim for a variety of colors, textures and flavors in every meal and snack I eat. Am I a complete health food nut? No way. But I know what makes me feel good and what makes me feel yucky, and I take it from there.

My success also comes from the fact that I exercise, don't smoke, and try not to stress out too much. The last one is tough. But I'm working on it every day, and apparently, it's paying off.

No comments: