Monday, June 7, 2010

Tex-Mex Chicken Salad


This dinner is my fallback on those evenings when I really want to eat dinner at home, but don't want to stop at the grocery store or spend a lot of time on my feet cooking. I usually have all the ingredients needed, or some variation thereof, in my fridge and pantry. Plus, I know everyone likes it.

*Warning*: This is not as "clean" as my usual meals, but I consider it our home-made version of fast food, and feel that on an occasional basis, it's OK for a family to have a meal like this.

My husband, daughter and I eat this salad as is. I sometimes add avocado to my plate as well. Picky Teenage Son is happy with the chicken strips, his salad on the side, some ketchup and a glass of milk.


Tex-Mex Chicken Salad


Buffalo-style Chicken Strips (frozen or homemade)
Salad greens of your choice
1 can Mexi-Corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
cherry tomatoes
fresh cilantro leaves
chopped bell peppers
shredded cheddar or jack cheese
Dressing:
equal parts barbecue sauce, ranch dressing and salsa, combined

Bake the chicken strips as indicated on the package.

Meanwhile, toss the greens with the corn, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, bell peppers and cheese.

Place the warm chicken on top of the salad. Drizzle with the dressing. Serve.

No comments: