Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Turkey Sausage-Stuffed Manicotti


Judging from the title and the picture, you would probably believe me when I told you that this manicotti is delicious (it's true). You might even believe me if I told you that this dinner is much more healthful than anything you'd get at a restaurant (making healthy versions of favorite foods is my specialty). But I'm sure you wouldn't believe me if I told you how incredibly simple it is to prepare Sausage-Stuffed Manicotti. The only dish or utensil involved in the preparation is one casserole dish. Read on, and become a believer.

Turkey Sausage-Stuffed Manicotti
Serves 7

1 25 ounce jar marinara sauce -- I used Whole Foods 365 Tomato-Basil Sauce
1/2 cup water
8 ounces manicotti -- uncooked (1 box)
1 1/4 pounds turkey sausage -- I used Turkey Store Sweet Italian Sausage
1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese (Parmesan would be good, too)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick spray. Pour 1 cup of sauce onto the bottom of the pan.

Add 1/2 cup water to remaining sauce in the jar. Replace lid and shake to combine.

Remove casings from the sausages. Take approximately 1/3 of one sausage link and roll it into a skinny tube in your hands. Gently insert it into the uncooked manicotti shell. Place the shell in the pan. Repeat the process until you've used all the shells and sausage; you should have 14 filled shells.

Pour the remaining sauce on top of the manicotti. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove foil and top the manicotti with both cheeses. Return to the oven for 8 - 10 minutes, until cheeses are melted and manicotti is tender. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: