Friday, February 12, 2010

Round 2: Tilapia with Tomato-Olive Sauce



Cooking once and eating twice is always smart. Sometimes I plan to do so: I'll grill or bake extra protein and serve it again another night in a pasta dish, salad or quesadilla. Sometimes I don't plan, but it just happens, like when I made the roast beef. We had some leftover, so I incorporated into a fried rice entree a couple of days later. Last night was one of those "didn't plan it that way" nights.

The polenta and sausage from Wednesday's dinner were long gone, but I still had a cup or so of the chunky tomato-vegetable sauce. I hadn't served served fish this week, and I thought the sauce would go really nicely with almost any white fish or even shrimp. So I stopped in at Shaw's on my way home from work and picked up some tilapia fillets along with a scoop of pitted kalamata olives. I also should have bought some fresh parsley; I could have sworn I had some here, but I guess not.

At home, I put the olives in the sauce and sliced them a little bit with a dinner knive and fork (I really didn't want to dirty a cutting board - you know the feeling, right?). I set it in a little saucepan over low heat while I made the fish.

After seasoning the fish with salt and pepper, I heated a little olive oil in a nonstick skillet, sauteed the fish for a couple of minutes on each side, topped it with the newly olive-infused sauce, and wished I had some fresh parsley to scatter over the entire creation. Served with rice and (leftover) broccoli, it was a fantastic, easy weeknight meal.

No comments: