Friday, October 23, 2009

Thai-Style Chicken Thighs


My clients have been asking for crockpot meals, and after exhasting my small repertoire of slow-cooked favorites, it was time to test various other recipes and ideas. It's hard work, but someone's got to do it, right? Off to the grocery store I went for various cuts of meat and poultry that do well in the crockpot. That means cuts of meat with a bit of fat on them (no chicken breasts or pork tenderloin) as well as those cuts that get tender with a long, slow, moist cooking method.

Tonight's dinner featured boneless skinless chicken thighs, a close relative to boneless chicken breast except with a bit more depth of flavor, and not as dry (thanks to the fat) with a slightly meatier texture. I had my eye on this crazy-sounding combination, which I saw in Beth Hensperger's Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Family Favorites. I added some green beans to Beth's recipe, cooked some jasmine rice at the last minute, and we had a really delicious, fuss-free dinner that everyone enjoyed.

Thai-Style Chicken Thighs
Serves 4 - 6
2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs -- fat removed
1 cup salsa -- I used Pace Mild Picante Sauce
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ginger -- I used minced jarred ginger
3/4 pound fresh green beans -- optional
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped peanuts -- garnish, optional
long grain jasmine rice

Coat inside of crockpot with nonstick spray and arrange chicken in crock. Stir together salsa, peanut butter, soy sauce and ginger. Pour over chicken. Top with green beans, if using. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 hours, until chicken is tender and cooked through.

Serve chicken with sauce over rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and peanuts, if using.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I need some more of these kinds of recipes for the crock pot. Great ingredients! I would have never thought to put peanut butter with salsa but it does all work!

Cat said...

Perfect timing! I was looking for something to fit my eccentric list of ingredients (aka things that are in the pantry right now) and this is it! The crock pot is simmering now!