Thursday, October 29, 2009

Slow Cooked Asian-Flavored Pork


I was all set to write about tonight's dinner, Pasta with Roasted Peppers and Sausage, when I discovered I'd already blogged about it in April. It was really good, so I do recommend that recipe.

Moving along, this is one of the crockpot recipes I tested out over the past weekend. Having never made or eaten boneless country-style ribs before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not a big fan of baby back ribs; too fatty for me. But the country-style ribs reminded me of a lean pork shoulder after they slow cooked in an Asian-inspired sauce. I think this would work equally well with pork loin or shoulder, but I'm sticking with the boneless country-style ribs.

Slow Cooked Asian-Flavored Pork
Serves 4

1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 pounds boneless country style spare ribs -- cut into 3-4 rib sections
sesame seeds and scallions -- garnish

In large ziplock bag combine all ingredients except ribs and garnish. Place cut up ribs in bag, seal, and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1 - 2 hours.

Pour the bagged mixture into a crockpot, cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, or until meat is tender and falling apart and registers 160 on meat thermometer. Place meat on plate/platter and garnish if desired.

Adapted from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Family Favorites by Beth Hensperger.

1 comment:

Karine said...

Your pork sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)