Saturday, June 20, 2009

Eat your veggies!



Now that everything seems to be in season (well, almost everything), it's easy to incorporate lots of fresh, interesting vegetables in your meals. If you find yourself serving the same old vegetables day in and day out, shake things up a bit this summer. Visit a farm stand or farmer's market and pick up something fresh and vibrant.

This morning I homed in on a hefty bunch of organic carrots and a couple of zucchini as well as some fresh basil and thyme. I knew I'd be strapped for time (we attended a birthday party in New Hampshire this afternoon), so when I got home, I used two easy methods to get the vegetables cooked: oven roasting and sauteeing. In less than 30 minutes, I sliced and oven-roasted the carrots with some olive oil and fresh thyme (425 degrees). While they were in the oven, I shredded the zucchini and sauteed it in a bit of butter with garlic. When it was softened up, I topped it with fresh basil, sea salt, pepper and lemon zest. Meanwhile, I had a pot of quinoa cooking. Side dishes are done, no recipes required.

No comments: