Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday Fish


I knew I wanted to serve fish today, and I knew I wanted to try something new, so I decided to try this recipe for Pan-Seared Tilapia with Chile-Lime Butter. The mild tilapia got a nice jolt of flavor from the aptly-named Chile-Lime Butter, which I made earlier this afternoon. All I had to do tonight was saute some vegetables for a side dish (I cleaned out the veggie drawer and the freezer to find some likely suspects), wipe out the skillet and cook the fish for a few minutes on each side, and, Praise the Lord, dinner was ready.

Pan-Seared Tilapia with Chile-Lime Butter
Serves 6

For chile-lime butter:
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) stick butter, margarine or spread of your choice
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
1 teaspoon minced fresh chile (use red for nice color contrast)
pinch of salt
For fish:
6 pieces tilapia
salt and pepper
2 t. vegetable oil

Make the chile-lime butter by combining all of the ingredients. If very soft, set in freezer while preparing the fish.

Rinse fish and pat dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick spray and add 2 t. vegetable oil. Cook the fish for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from pan and place a dollop of butter on top of each serving.

1 comment:

amycaseycooks said...

Yes I do love this recipe. One of those that can be spicy for some and a=on the tame side for others. and all in such a short time.